Thursday 4 July 2013

Tatting... and Elderflower Cordial

This blog is mostly about tatting... but I can talk about other stuff sometimes, can I?  One of the small things that make me happy in life is making blackberry jam from the hedgerows in the autumn and elderflower cordial at this time of year.  I like making other jams and chutneys too but there is something special about making something so delicious out of freely available fruits and flowers that grow around us.  Don't you think?  Elderflowers and blackberries grow wild in the hedges all around the lanes.  This particular batch of elderflower happens to come straight from my garden as there is also some growing in our hedges.

I love how it looks when you put all the flowers and the lemons in a big bowl.  

And the scent!  

Wonderful.



And here is the finished product.
There were a couple more bottles but one's already nearly gone
(my children love it!)
and the other is in the fridge.


Elderflower Cordial is delicious mixed
with sparkling mineral water
and poured over ice cubes.

Ah!  Makes me thirsty!

Sunshine in a bottle,
a wonderful summer drink.


And the tatting part in this post?  Well, I think it's going to have to be just the mat that the bottles are standing on.  I shall be collecting more elderflowers and making more cordial in the next few days.  The flowers don't last for long, must make the most of it!

Best wishes,
Frivole

19 comments:

  1. Love it all! - the bottles, the tatted mat and especially the labels! In fact, it's all very "refreshing"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Frivole! I would like to taste(?) your drink it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could let you have a glass! :-)

      Delete
  3. Love it.

    I just got back from a run in which I stopped midway to pick a few mulberries from a wild tree that I have been watching for about a week, waiting for the succulent little fruits to appear!

    Yes, I could purchase berries (but not mulberries!) at a shop, but it is so delightful to stop and converse with the tree and have a little snack before I continue down the lane. ; ))
    Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can only agree! I don't think I've tried mulberries... just been looking up the difference between mulberries and blackberries on internet, apparently they're not the same at all.

      Delete
  4. Yum, yum, yum! I've never had cordial, can I have a sip? All beautifully represented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to share a glass with you Michelle... you're welcome to come over! :-)

      Delete
  5. How lovely...my Grandmother (the one who was the tatter) used to make elderberry wine, which was wonderful, and jam from the fruits. It appears that the flowers could be the same fruit? The cordial looks beautiful and refreshing! My family enjoys vacationing on Vashon Island in Washington state...and one of the things I enjoy while there is gathering and making jam from the berries. Bringing it home and having a jar here and there throughout the year is like a breath of our summers escape, brought home to savour again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackberry jam on Vashon, above...I didn't specify.

      Delete
    2. Sounds great Julie! I love traditional recipes and old-fashioned traditions. I've never made jam from the berries though, maybe I should try this year. Like you, I love getting a jar out in the winter and feeling the taste of summer all over again. Wonderful.

      Delete
  6. That sounds delightful. Would you mind sharing your recipe?
    I think there some growing wild out in our pasture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I'll send you an email about it.

      Delete
    2. Elderberry or acacia flowers can be fried in batter - like pancake batter, but more dense - and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
      My dad is adding dried flowers to the linden tea.
      I'm very interested about "wild cooking" ;-) so can I ask for recipe too?
      My mail is:
      d.art.hea@op.pl

      Delete
    3. Thank you! It's really simple recipe!

      Delete
    4. Yes, so simple AND delicious! I fancy pouring myself a glass right now. The elderflowers are nearing the end already here. I wish I made more bottles, they'll never last til the winter...

      Delete
  7. I love the scent of elderflower cordial, and some years I make it, and some I miss the moment. This year I was waiting for a sunny day to gather the flowers and then it poured with rain, and they were ruined. I love your bottles with the pretty labels, :)
    I like to add a sprig of mint to the glass with the ice cubes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Snowy, since making this batch I've been waiting to make some more and the weather's been miserable and wet. I hope the flowers are still good when the sun starts to shine again!

      A sprig of mint sounds great, I'll try it next time.

      Delete
  8. It's wonderful to blog about other things - I love to see the other things in bloggers lives.
    The cordial looks wonderful. I love to make various jams and sauces from fresh produce too, and all the better when it's from my own garden. I wish I lived close enough to have a taste!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!